Our activity leaders are at the centre of what we do – their good nature, leadership and passion for outdoor activities are what we pass on to the next generation. It is a role with a lot of responsibility and a huge amount of reward and satisfaction.
You will be part of a team of enthusiastic and passionate leaders who help to run CAG meeting nights on Tuesdays in term time. You will help run both indoor and outdoor team building activities for our all male members and this can include going on night walks, building fires, cooking on fires, trying out some bush craft, going on bike rides, trying indoor climbing, having a go at scuba diving in swimming pools, playing team building games, entering cake competitions, attempting bushtucker trials, putting up tents, learning navigation skills, keeping fit by doing bleep tests, going karting, having a crack at skiing at Ackers Trust, eating curry at Christmas and much, much more.
You can also join us on our weekend trips away to faraway places such as the Lakes, Snowdonia, the Peaks and even to snowier, colder climes on our legendary ski trip.
- You will be working as part of a team to provide safe, creative and appropriate challenging activities for young people aged 10 – 18 years
- Activities will include fun activities and games both indoor and outdoor and supervising off-site trips and much more
- You will have the opportunity to lead and inspire our different age groups: “Smalls” (age 10 – 13.5), “Bigs” (age 13.5 – 16) and Young Leaders (age 16 – 18).
- You will need to ensure that the young people are kept safe at all times by following CAG’s policies and procedures relating to safeguarding, risk assessment and other health and safety issues
- You and the team will be responsible for keeping the premises clean and tidy and ensure the safekeeping of any equipment in conjunction with the Quartermaster
- You will liaise with parents where necessary for any feedback required
- Maintain and uphold good behaviour of the members
Work in conjunction with the Safeguarding Lead and Group Leader
- Be able to work on a rota with other leaders and be available for Tuesday nights during term time
- Communicate frequently with the Group Leader & CAG Management Committee to keep them up to date
We are looking for a volunteer who ideally should have / be:
- Commitment to CAG and its ethos
- Experience of working or volunteering with young people in a similar environment
- Ability to communicate at all levels, particularly with young people
- Enthusiasm and a positive attitude to work is essential
- Ability to work on own initiative but also as part of a team
- A proactive attitude
- A car driver or have ability to travel to attend events & meetings
- The post holder must be able to provide a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Check
Making a difference – what impact will the opportunity have?
Your input is key to the day to day running of CAG as well as securing its future. You will have a big impact because this role is essential to ensuring that CAG members have the best time at Tuesday night meetings and weekend events / trips. You will be helping members to work in teams, challenge themselves to try out new activities, make new friends and spend time away from social media and computer screens which has been proven to benefit mental health.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
You would become part of our small, friendly team and you have the opportunity to use your time, skills and experience to make a real difference to CAG and the community in which we operate. Additionally we can offer you:
- The chance to be part of a charity at an exciting time in its development
- The opportunity to make a difference to young people’s lives through outdoor trips, activities and adventures.
- Expenses, so you are not out of pocket.
About the location
Where will the volunteer be working?
The volunteer will be required to attend weekly Tuesday night club meetings at Bickenhill during term time.
The candidate should also be available for occasional face to face Leader meetings.
When will the volunteer be working?
Weekly Tuesday evening club nights
Occasional weekends and evenings to attend events & trips
Estimate of time commitment
Minimum 2 hours / week – the candidate will be able to offer further time as they wish
The volunteering could be long term.
If you have any questions regarding this role please contact Izzy Jeynes on firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to apply for this role please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com or apply online at this link.
Successful applicants will require an enhanced DBS and two references.